This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thai Mobile Phone Handset

Does anyone know if you can buy mobile phones in the UK that have Thai alphabet keys or the ability to send SMS in Thai? Or do we need to wait until we are next over there to pick up a new one?

Thanks

I must say I have never seen one. I had a look on ebay.com and even there could find only three the cheapest being $520. Its a long shot but I remember taking my english mobile to a chap at a big C in Thailand who not only unlocked my phone but converted its software to Thai. I wonder if you can download the program that does that or whether your local mobile "unlocking" shop can do that.

Good luck on this.

Richard
    It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are

Comment

Rethink,

Send the SMS from your computer. Type it in Thai and its bound to get sent in Thai isnt it? I ( or rather Sea ) uses 18185.co.uk to phone mama etc for hours on end at 1p per min. I notice they do texts too.

2nd rethink

Mrs richardb ( aka Sea ) never sends texts to Thailand anymore cause she yak yaks for hours on 18185 at 1p per min.

Richard
      It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are

Comment

Thanks Richard,

We've tried the SMS service on both 18185 and Voipdiscount (that we use for phone calls) unfortunately they don't seem to recognise Thai script and just send ??? in their place.

It's only very occasionally that Supansa sends SMS so it's not a huge issue; simply an inconvenience now that she can't do it.

We'll keep looking in any case and worst case scenario we'll be over there in 5 months...

Thanks anyway.

Comment

Would be no problem for local phone shop to "re-flash" the software with a Thai language pack. Maybe a bit more difficult to get your hands on a Thai keypad here but should be able to pick one up on ebay.

Comment

You could get a dual sim phone http://www.freeyourmobile.biz/acatal...le_phones.html
            I have an A8 (made in China) although no Thai keypad it has a qwerty touch keypad and you can set the language to Thai.
            Also the Chinese iphone copies found here http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_ce_1_3?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=dual+sim+mobile+phones&sprefix=due
            will have the Thai language qwerty touch screens
            Buy cheap, pay twice.

Comment

Thanks Fish,

How would you rate the A8??

Comment

Originally posted by RichardSt View Post

How would you rate the A8??
                After my moto V3 its a bit of a brick but for the price it perfoms well. plenty of reviews here http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=a00...B295GB295&aq=t

If you buy one don't be swayed by the cheaper prices you will see online as they are sent from overseas and do not include import taxes etc.The supplier in my link is UK based and I found the service good.
                Buy cheap, pay twice.

Comment

Working...
                X