X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sky shocker

Hi, all.
    Just had a nasty shock with phone bill from Sky. We have that surf see and talk package, where you still have to pay £11 per month to keep the BT landline. Probably stupidly, we kept using the same 0844 numbers to call Thailand (they were 1p a minute with BT).
    Anyway, now they are 5p a minute plus connection fee with Sky talk. A few hours a week it makes a difference.
    So does anyone know of any access codes to phone Thailand which are cheap on Sky?
    Lat likes the convenience of just picking up the landline rather than messing about with the computer.
    Many thanks,
    Robert

Originally posted by Robert W:
    So does anyone know of any access codes to phone Thailand which are cheap on Sky?
    Hi Robert, you should have received a letter from BT when you shifted to Sky. On this they give an access code (or at least did on mine) for if you still want to make calls using the BT line. As it is cheaper to call the 0844 numbers on BT rather than Sky I just insert 1280 (I think it is this number but am in Thailnad at the moment so can not confirm for you) but check you paperwork and see.
    I just wrote out the 1280 followed by the access number and Nok's mum's mobile and now she just dials as written and no problems.
    Bye Bye EU Day 31st December 2020 (11 p.m.)

Comment

I'm just wondering if anyone can confirm that dialing 1280 before an 0844 number from a sky service does in fact re-route via a BT line?

Thanks in advance

Phil

Comment

Dial 1280 before any number from any BT line and that call will be made over the BT network and will be charged by BT on your next phone bill.
        Tobias - โทเบียส
        It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Comment

Hi Tobias, did you mean, Dial 1280 before any number if using a Sky line/service to go via BT?

Originally posted by Tobias:
          Dial 1280 before any number from any BT line and that call will be made over the BT network and will be charged by BT on your next phone bill.

Comment

Dial 1280 before any number from a BT line and you will bypass whatever network (including Sky, TalkTalk, Tiscali etc) who currently provide calls over the line.
            Tobias - โทเบียส
            It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Comment

Got it! Thanks for the info

Phil

Comment

Guess yuo had better start using 08442009898 ( currently half a pence a minute) to try and recoup some of the extra money you have spent.

Comment

We use 9898 all the time (well my other half all the time, I just listen to her). I am with Virgin Media and they are charging me 1p a minute even though it is half a p

it's only pennies each month but still irks me
                  Rich+Waan+Moot

Comment

Bit of a complicated one here, i think.
                    Should have read this before deciding to move everything to Sky which i am in the process of doing.

Literally yesterday i decided to change everything (TV, Broadband, Telephone) to Sky from Talk Talk. This was slightly complicated by the fact that my line is Talk Talk not BT, you need a BT line for Sky.

I had 2 options:-
                    1, Change my line rental back to BT for 1 yr before changing to Sky
                    2, Pay 25 quid for a new line to be installed by Sky, which would mean changing my phone number but could then change everything now.

As changing my home number wouldnt be a problem i opted for 2.Is my new line actually a BT line provided by Sky ?

So, to cut a long story short, what access code will i need to dial with my new Sky line
                    We'll never win the Premier League,
                    We'll never win a Cup,
                    We'll still follow UNITED !!

Comment

Anyone who has moved their telephone service to Sky can get round the excessive charges for calls to Thailand by using a VoIP service, such as VoIPDiscount.com . By throwing in €10 into the account 3 times a year, you basically get 0p per minute calls to Thai landlines and mobiles. And even that €30 per year is not wasted, as it can be used for calls that are chargeable.

We use Sky for our broadband, but whilst subjected to constant marketing, have resolutely refused to move out telephone service to them. The reason is that dial-around services such as 18185 will not work with Sky, and we use that service rather extensibly.
                      John

Comment

Used voipdiscount for a couple of years and then all of a sudden just stopped working. My wife would call her family, several different members, they would answer, hear us perfectly but we couldnt hear a thing.
                        Tried allsorts, changing voip handset, re-installing voipdiscount, totally re-formatting hard drive but nothing. As no-one seems to have this problem no-one could help.

I bought Jumpa a laptop for christmas so might try through that or look into the possibility of the Sky Router being Sip enabled
                        We'll never win a Cup,

Comment

The other thing is that the very good deals they have at the moment, like free line rental for 12 mths and Sky+HD box for 29.99 incl installation, are dependant on getting the whole package
                          We'll never win a Cup,

Comment

using voipdiscount is even better when you have are on O2/Be or have a sip enabled router

The old o2 box has build in SIP ports. Program it to use voip discount and you can plug a normal phone in it. You can then dial thailand without using the pc (ideal for those partners whit a scare of the keyboard)

as said before upload €10 and you get 300 minutes per rolling week free for 100 days and then start using your allowance at a rate of around .8p a minute

On average I top it up 2 times a year

Comment

does anyone know if the Sky router is Sip enabled
                              We'll never win a Cup,

Comment

Working...
                              X