Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Thai mobile service for occasional trips?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Thai mobile service for occasional trips?

It's been quite some time since we last visited this subject. What are people views on the most cost effective mobile service (including data) for occasional visits to Thailand?
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

I use Dtac Tobias but.......get her indoors to check out the deals online in Thai. What you are offered at the airport on arrival is almost certainly a lot more expensive than what is actually available. As is the norm, the best deals are only available in Thai language - its akin to the best currency exchanges being located next to the public transport links to the airport.

Comment

I use Happy DTAC and go to the shop in Central (Pattaya) on arrival to sort out my internet package.
      Last December I paid 450 baht (plus tax) for 4GB of data a month which was ample for using Facebook, You Tube (occasionally) and LINE for communications.

I also had WIFI in my condo so was on that a fair bit as well and did any major stuff (downloads/updates) whilst on that.
      Bye Bye EU Day 31st December 2020 (11 p.m.)

Comment

I was using DTAC originally and then found that Truemove H was much faster in my wife's village.

Things were changing fast back in 2015. Between April and October when I made three trips they were sticking up towers everywhere. I went in April with very poor speeds and patchy access and went in October and had 4G.

Comment

Just a word of caution I went to a phone shop in a mall (can't remember name but one of the major ones) to buy a Thai sim card and the guy serving me, who I trusted would be careful, bent my UK sim card.

Comment

If you're only visiting Bangkok, you're not likely to notice much difference between AIS, True and DTAC.

Nationwide, DTAC are the weakest for network coverage. More black spots than a Dalmatian. AIS and True now have pretty good 4G/LTE in urban areas, and AIS have always been top regarding network coverage. I would personally choose AIS between the two, but there's probably very little between them. They both also have a large number of free wi-fi hotspots in shopping centres and other built-up areas.

Regards
            Paul พอล
            กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Comment

I use True and use there "always on connection" 3g/4g which costs 212 baht a month including vat. Even when the first 1gb has been reached they only throttle the speed slightly as it still runs youtube etc. Unbeatable frankly although probably ais and dtac have similar
              Call uk landlines for 1 baht a minute.

The short code for the data is *900*1801# and then call...activates within 60 seconds

Comment

Originally posted by Flip View Post
                I use Dtac Tobias but.......get her indoors to check out the deals online in Thai. What you are offered at the airport on arrival is almost certainly a lot more expensive than what is actually available. As is the norm, the best deals are only available in Thai language - its akin to the best currency exchanges being located next to the public transport links to the airport.
                All the deals are clearly advertised in English on the relevant True DTAC and AIS websites

As I use True will put link to their website on data etc

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/topp...ackage_en.html

Comment

Originally posted by maokaang View Post
                  Nationwide, DTAC are the weakest for network coverage. More black spots than a Dalmatian.
                  Not arguing Paul but I've never noticed that. I've been with DTAC for years and chose them because at the time the only 2 that worked well were either them or AIS and I didn't like the Taksin link with AIS in those days.

When in Thailand I'm in the sticks and get an excellent 4g signal and connect my laptop through my phone as I have no internet at home yet. Last year I drove from Bangkok to Udon Thani and Buriram to Khao Yai, streaming music via bluetooth from my phone to the car music system all the time and only remember any 'buffering' on one or two occasions.

What I regard as poor coverage is O2's service in the UK which, in real world (rather than their coverage map) terms is disgusting in 2018.

Comment

I use AIS, had the same phone number for about 3.5 years. Never had a problem with it, I use the 550 baht unlimited internet at the 6mb speed and I use it like what Flip says above....connect phone to my Mac and I am good to go. It also saves me paying for the phone internet and then buying the internet in the apartment. I use it for streaming, downloading, updating etc, I have never has a problem with them
                    http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/addon/en/nonstop.html

Comment

I have used AIS for over ten years, am a Gold Serenade Customer, and as far as I am concerned provide the best coverage, competitive packages and superb customer services.

Comment

Coverage in Thailand seems to be far better than the UK no matter which provider you use. So for occasional trips - as Tobias is asking, I think it comes down to who offers the best deal. Just repeat what I said above - for an occasional user its better to get a Thai speaker to check out the deals. I usually renew my previous deal when I arrive at Suvarnabhumi but that deal is not being offered to the other tourists queueing with me who are paying significantly more. That's with DTAC, I don't know if the other providers operate the same practice. I've deleted the messages from DTAC so can't remember the precise deal but I do know its 399 a month and I've never reached the data limit or got charged for additional calls. I suspect a teenager might run out of data though - along with a cricked neck.

Comment

Coverage in Thailand seems to be far better than the UK no matter which provider you use. So for occasional trips - as Tobias is asking, I think it comes down to who offers the best deal. Just repeat what I said above - for an occasional user its better to get a Thai speaker to check out the deals. I usually renew my previous deal when I arrive at Suvarnabhumi but that deal is not being offered to the other tourists queueing with me who are paying significantly more. That's with DTAC, I don't know if the other providers operate the same practice. I've deleted the messages from DTAC so can't remember the precise deal but I do know its 399 a month and I've never reached the data limit or got charged for additional calls. I suspect a teenager might run out of data though - along with a cricked neck.
                          Flip I'm being polite but why again do you suggest asking thai speakers to get the best deal ??
                          They are all on the True, DTAC and AIS websites with the relevant short code to activate whatever package you want.
                          Earlier in thread I put the True ones up but both other networks are likewise in clear English. If you havent got a relevant sim the airport desks sell for 90 baht which includes some calling credit.
                          No need to buy any packages from those desks. Add the credit and hit the short code and done deal sorted

Comment

Originally posted by wunderbar View Post
                            Flip I'm being polite but why again do you suggest asking thai speakers to get the best deal ??
                            Wunderbar, I've had my DTAC number and SIM for around 10 years - I don't buy a new one at the airport. However, whatever deal you have, you can renew it at the airport which is what I do.

Whatever deal I've been offered - either online or at the airport desks, they don't match the one I'm on. I only found out about my deal from my then wife because its the same deal she's on. It was also her that told me that they don't make such deals readily available to tourists. I can't find my deal online either in Thai or in English. The first time it was set up, my ex did it by calling customer services and asking them for the same deal she had. Just relaying my experience - not asking for an argument about it.

Comment

Wunderbar, I've had my DTAC number and SIM for around 10 years - I don't buy a new one at the airport. However, whatever deal you have, you can renew it at the airport which is what I do.

Whatever deal I've been offered - either online or at the airport desks, they don't match the one I'm on. I only found out about my deal from my then wife because its the same deal she's on. It was also her that told me that they don't make such deals readily available to tourists. I can't find my deal online either in Thai or in English. The first time it was set up, my ex did it by calling customer services and asking them for the same deal she had. Just relaying my experience - not asking for an argument about it.
                              Lol forget airport desks. Not relevant whatsoever other then needing a sim which you dont anyway. Why you claim thais have deals not available to tourists I cannot imagine.

Click on "add on packages" on the left apart from all the rest. Perfect English. For anyone who has AIS just look at their relevant website

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/pr...ed-social.html
                              Last edited by wunderbar; 8 Apr 2018, 07:44.

Comment

Working...
                              X